11.26.2008

Iraq, I Roll, Iran




Crisis Iraq, I Roll, Iran 45 (Criminal, 1979?)

It is Thanksgiving time and I guess I should be thankful that the election of Barack Obama means that the United Stated will not have a stupid foreign policy (maybe still wretched but not ill-thought out), but part of me is a bit sad. Bad foreign policy means good songs. Often these songs are great-good, as in the Circle Jerks' "Paid Vacation" or Bob Dylan's "Masters of War." Other times these songs are good bad, like today's "Iraq, I Roll, Iran" by Crisis, a one-off band probably cobbled together to record this single.

One of plenty of "real people" records commenting on the Iran Hostage Crisis of the late 70s and Iran's Islamic Revolution, Crisis's ballad (of sorts) takes aim at the Ayatollah Khomeini (who else?) with a series of insults and challenges of the battered-brain variety usually associated with guys whose best retort is "Oh yeah?" Classic among the song's lyrics is the play on Ayatollah that comes after the guitar break. I am not gonna spoil it for you but do beg you to at least make it to there, because you are guaranteed a chuckle. Where Iraq figures in here, I don't know other than "Iraq, I Roll, Iran" makes a "good" song title.

Have a good T-day.


Comments:
Well, that just kicked Bobby Butler's "Cheaper Crude or No More Food" out of my most hated novelty/topical song, thanks for sharing. There's an interesting list I found compiled by WFMU of songs relating to energy crises past which seems like a fun way to prepare for the future:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/05/songs_of_bygone.html
 
Great to hear another one of these artifacts, and the first comment is great too.

Here's another one, backed with a song containing completely different racial slurs.

Roger Hallmark, "A Message to Khomeini"
 
I had this 45 when I was a kid and still know every word by heart, I am dying to hear it again! Finding it here is amazing but I can't figure out how to download or play it? If you can help me it would be amazing!!!
Thanks,
Jillian
karaokejillian@yahoo.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?