4.12.2007

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. 1922 - 2007




Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. 1922 - 2007

Kurt Vonnegut died on Wednesday. My first thought was "I hate it when the good people die." Chances are if you are a fan of this blog, you have read at least one Vonnegut book, so I will spare you the rundown of his life. The man was a cultural & literary icon. His humor, humanity, and scathing condemnation of the cruel and the dumb is well known. His skill as a writer and storyteller have been praised. Like many of you, I read all of his books and reread plenty. He is one of my favorite writers.

I really can't add anything else other than a line of his from a radio interview in the early 1990s. I am not sure what the context is but I don't think it matters, as the sentiment is just as true today as it ever was. The man said, "It's about time we called people scumbags again." When I started a community newspaper in the late 90s, I stuck those words atop the masthead. Rest in peace, Kurt Vonnegut.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. Reads Cat's Cradle LP (Caedmon, 1973)
Excerpt 1
Excerpt 2



Comments:
Thanks very much for this. I don't know why I have always felt that Kurt Vonnegut would be exempt from death when the rest of us aren't, but I was stung and personally affronted to hear he'd gone.
 
Yes, the concept of Vonnegut and death is hard to grasp.
 
Thanks for posting this (and the Five Blobs single, by the way).
 
Also note the number of band names/ song titles that they took from Mr. Vonnegut: So It Goes, Now It Can Be Told, Slaughterhouse 5, Kilgore Trout, etc. etc. Any bands looking for a name could do worse than check out this list of great (fictional, of course) Kilgore Trout titles: http://www.vonnegutweb.com/vonnegutia/trout/index.html
I loved Vonnegut's books; only recently reread Mother Night, probably my favourite. A sad loss, but at least he didn't die of lung cancer!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?